The final chapter of Reading to Live, by Lorraine Wilson, closes on strategic ways to plan for classroom reading as well as the rationale behind her beliefs. She discusses how the teacher should always keep in mind the big picture which includes systems about living, learning, language, and reading. I completely agree with her and think that literacy should always include these belief systems for every individual student in every classroom.
I am a very pragmatic person, teacher, and learner which are traits I have mentioned a few times in my earlier blogs. For this reason I was impressed by her section in this chapter about authentic reading. She writes that “We do not read to read. We read to do something else. Therefore, classroom reading should never be for its own sake…” I am also a big fan, from educational psychology, of social cognitive learning theories. I feel that a large majority of literacy will indeed come from social environments both in primary and secondary discourses. Wilson describes that reading must have a practical function whether it is for making something, relaxation, pleasure, or social communication. She continues by saying that “We must remember that reading is social practice.” Learners will always model what the teacher is doing whether it is reading or writing. This doesn’t mean that the student will always copy everything the teacher does but it reminds educators that a major function of literacy is to become influenced by society to create something and find a means to an end. Socialization will always be a great influence and teachers should shape their planning around this powerful concept.
Another issue about planning for classroom reading that jumped out at me during this chapter was her section on “The Crowded Curriculum.” Within this section the author discusses how “Teachers are constantly pressed for time. Classroom sessions are never quite finished properly. I think we all need to slow down and perhaps attempt less, in more time. If we teachers are feeling frazzled and rushed, how must the children be feeling?” When a teacher’s challenge to teach reading is always complex in itself then how must the student feel when they are given time limits to learn all aspects of literacy? I think this often leads to cognitive overload for most students and puts tyranny on comprehension as we have mentioned before in online discussions. Wilson says that is important to vary the schedule and provide alternatives to reading activities which might exclude some students. This might help teachers who are facing time constraints and pressures from standardized programs being forced upon school districts.
The book finishes with some important questions regarding the four reading practices and below I have listed some that I thought were valuable to myself as a future educator. These questions will provide the teacher and student with ways to evaluate his or her program which will hopefully aim for higher success in the classroom.
Code Breakers:
Do the reader’s miscues make sense?
Does the reader self correct?
Does the reader’s retelling indicate that the reader is reading for meaning?
Text Participant:
Does the reader want to make meaning?
Can the reader retell in his or her own words?
Can the reader discuss different themes of the book?
Text User:
Does the reader read to pursue personal interest?
Does the student choose to read on his own time?
Text Analyst:
Is the reader able to identify author motives?
Does the reader question the decisions made by authors of fiction?
Does the reader question the accuracy of nonfiction writing?
I like how she says that learners will always model what the teacher is doing whether it is reading or writing. I certainly think that it's important for the teacher to be engaged in whatever he/she has the class doing at a certain point. If the students are all reading or writing, then the teacher should be too. It sounds like a very interesting book. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteTime management is one of the most difficult things about teaching! That is something that the author of my book talked about too, how teachers sometimes need to attempt fewer things to make the most of the time you have. It's difficult to do though, I guess it will come with practice.
ReplyDeleteAlmost every teacher has the same feeling that time is never enough to finish the teaching plan. One of the reasons might be we were not fully clear and sure about the best way for our kids to quickly grasp the point. This needs our more understanding of learning process. Together with individual difference, what a teacher can do is not very much. But more space can be left to students for peer teaching.
ReplyDeleteThe teachers at my school do not have time to include social studies and science into their day. I think it is very sad that we are not able to include these topics because of time, but that's the reality. I also think that it's a shame that we can't do cross-curriculum learning, but instead are forced to follow these guided programs.
ReplyDelete